Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How to Grow Basil

This is a great trick that I learned from my mother-in-law Chris. She is a talented gardener who loves flowers, plants, and sharing her vast knowledge with eager amateurs. :-)
Thanks MIL!

I love basil, but I've been unsuccessful getting it to grow in my garden. I'll keep trying; in the meantime this is a great way for me to get more yield from a store-bought bunch.

1. Cut a few stems of basil from the bunch. Make sure to get the base of the stem, not just the leaves.
2. Place the stems in a glass of water and keep them on the kitchen counter. Here are my 3 little plants.


In a few days the stems will begin to sprout. Now you have several new basil plants for your garden.
*Perfect for a hostess gift:
Bring a sprouted plant to a friend you are visiting- I know I'd love receiving a little basil plant as a gift!

I put my basil in water yesterday, so I'll be back in a few days with images of the sprouts.

-:-

5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I finally got around to planting basil in my herb garden, so your tips are great!

Thistlemoon said...

Yes, this is great way to get basil to grow! :) I forgot about it though! it is always good to have fresh basil around!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Sharon said...

I came home yesterday after a few days out of town to find my little basil seedlings had died! I'll have to try your method out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! I'm terrible at gardening and always kill basil (when I see the brown leaves I almost cry and grieve for yet another dead plant). I'm going to give this a try - fingers crossed!

Kirstin said...

Thanks for this tip! I've killed basil in so many different ways that watching it live and thrive will be an entirely different venture. I'm trying it soon.