Thursday, July 31, 2008

If My Breakfast were on a Menu....

Summer Oatmeal
$ priceless

Strawberry Blueberry Oats 1

Quick-cooking steel cut oats simmered with cinnamon and vanilla extract
topped with sliced fresh strawberries and blueberries, floating in a pool of vanilla soy milk and flax
served with Suite Apple granola on the side

~:~
I'd order this, but I have yet to see oatmeal this good on a cafe menu. Luckily, it's even easier to make at home.

1/2 cup quick-cooking steel cut oats (McCann's)
1 cup water
1 large strawberry and a handful of blueberries
salt
cinnamon
vanilla extract
light vanilla soy milk (8th Continent light vanilla)
1 tablespoon ground flax
2-3 large pinches of Suite Apple Granola

1. Cut strawberry into pieces and add half along with half the blueberries into a bowl with the oatmeal and water.
2. Microwave for 1.40 minutes (will vary by microwave).
3. Add a pinch of salt and some cinnamon and stir. Add the sweetener of your choice (I use Splenda packets).
4. Stir well, and add a few splashes of soy milk.
5. Cover again and microwave for 50 seconds to heat.
6. Remove and stir once again, adding a few more splashes of soy milk to moisten. I like my oatmeal more liquidy these days so I add a bit more.
7. Return and microwave once more for 1 minute at half power.
8. Top with the ground flax and the remaining fruit. Sprinkle a pinch of granola over the top; save the rest on the side to add to the bowl as you eat (it will stay crunchy if you add it as you go)
9. EAT!
Delicious, filling, and easy as pie.

~::~

I just finished my bowl, where is yours?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I love your blog. The pictures are beautiful. Just wondering what you do for a living?? Take care. E

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

My OWN priceless bowl of oats is digesting, haha :0)

HangryPants said...

Hi, I've read your blog for a few weeks before, but never commented. I just wanted to tell you that I think the whole thing is really pretty. The pictures are pretty, the food sounds pretty, the descriptions are pretty, the bowls are pretty. Love it!

- Heather

Sarah said...

Hi Heather and E!

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments. I guess I like 'pretty' :-)

I have no photography training so I'm always trying to get better. When I look at some of the oldest posts I cringe- I've improved alot!

In professional life I work in HR staffing, but I'd say food and writing are my true loves :-)

~Sarah

Sarah said...

Hi VeggieGirl,

You go! :-) What was today's combination??

I'm considering trying 'nectarine oats' tomorrow, because I have a white nectarine that needs to be eaten. I'm not sure how much I'll like it since I prefer berries or apple. Have you ever tried it?

HangryPants said...

Yes, I meant "pretty" in the most wonderful sense of the word. To be more specific, I think it's your attention to detail that I enjoy the most.
- Heather