Monday, June 23, 2008

Cottage Cheese Muffins


I'm trying to think of new meal ideas for NH.

He wants to make some modifications in his diet, and has presented me with a challenge: high-protein, low in fat, and big on flavors.

These were inspired by a recipe from one of my favorite blogs, 101 Cookbooks. This site always has beautiful pictures and interesting ideas. The batter is similar with a few adjustments for ingredients that I had/didn't have; check out the original recipe for the changes.

We prefer mini-muffins so I modified the original recipe to use this pan. It makes a little more than twice as many muffins.
They smell amazing while baking, a deliciously complex cheesy smell. :-)


For the ground almonds, I used my almond meal from Trader Joe's. This is a great product.


Cottage Cheese Muffins

1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup almond meal
1/4 cup water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray, just enough so the muffins won't stick.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; stir to incorporate. The batter will form a chunky rather than smooth consistency, similar to this.


Fill each part of the baking pan about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of parmesan cheese.


Bake 25-30 minutes until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack.

*Verdict:
As you can see from the pictures, I used liners. It appears that the muffins will stick a little too much to the paper, so my next batch will use no liners and a bit of cooking spray (changes noted in my recipe).

That being said, they taste amazing and NH consumed 3 minis this morning.


Victory!

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Glad that NH approved of those muffins!! :0)

Thank you for your extremely kind comment on my blog.

Mo said...

Sarah,
I may have to try these for Scott. He doesn't get as filled up from oatmeal in the morning as I do. Maybe if I give him one of these high protein muffins with the oatmeal, it would hold him over better.

On another note - the Chardonnays that I usually do like are from New Zealand and are called "unoaked chardonnay." Like you, it's the oak I don't like, not the chardonnay varietal. Also, French chablis are good, because they are generally less oakey than the California chardonnays. Ahh...so much wine...so little time. ;)

Sharon said...

Hi Sarah, Thanks for stopping by! We're coming up on our 1 year anniversary - we got married last September.

I have a tub of cottage cheese ready to be used, so I'll have to try these out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Sarah (for your comment)! I really really appreciate you taking the time to write that.

2nd of all, your muffins sound yummy! I'm not big on eggs, but I've seen recipes like this before and always been curious about them!

Oh and the pic of the paella, the berries (I'm jealous! I want to go berry picking!), and especially you and your sister are just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

yummy! i love mini muffins way more than the bigger sized ones - too cute :)

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I just saw that you only used one egg...I think the other recipes I saw included more eggs, so I always had doubts I'd enjoy them. What do these taste like?

Sarah said...

Regarding the (lack of) eggs:

So I didn’t intend to make that modification, but I opened my fridge and had only one egg midway through mixing the batter! I really thought I had more, but they have been used for other things. So I thought quickly and added the egg and some yogurt. I thought, “if they don’t turn out, oh well.”

I suspect the missing eggs contributed to the muffins sticking to the liners more. HOWEVER, they taste really good. They have a moist texture and taste like cottage cheese, parm, and basil. The chunky curds of cottage cheese come through very nicely.

I think, if I make them again, I would try them with 3-4 eggs instead, just to see the difference. But my recipe turned out fine, and my husband Ray has been eating them the past two mornings. I’m not a muffin person so they are for him, but he likes them alot, and they have a good amount of protein and not much fat.