Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Orange Chocolate Olive Oil Minis

I had a plan to do some baking.
And like many of my baking ventures, I went through half a dozen recipes before taking out the flour and eggs.


I think the aromas of orange and chocolate in the oven are heavenly; I think I enjoy the smell even more than the flavor.
These minis are going to NH's office, so I've already gotten my enjoyment out of them.

I adore bite sized mini-muffins, but if you'd rather make regular muffins that's ok.
Use a good quality, fragrant olive oil. Even better, try a walnut or pistachio oil to add a different flavor profile.

Orange Chocolate Olive Oil Minis

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup of fragrant extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of one medium orange
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two mini-muffin pans with nonstick baking spray.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the olive oil, baking powder, salt and orange zest; stir to combine. Add the flour and mini chocolate chips. Fold the flour and chips into the batter until it comes together. Do not overmix.

Using a teaspoon, fill the pan about 3/4 full. With the second pan, fill the middle 8 (the batter will make 32 muffins).


Bake for 18 minutes, or until raised and golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring the minis to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.


~:~

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Orange and chocolate definitely make for a divine flavor combination and aromas.

Anonymous said...

mmmm you know what's funny... once i was out of oil and used olive oil as a sub when baking brownies! they tasted so yummy and everyone raved about them... i never knew there were actually real recipes that combined chocolate + olive oil - i'll have to give this one a whirl :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You must read my posts more carefully, my friend - I linked to the blondie recipe!! :0)

Erica said...

Um these look super awesome. I have never baked with Olive Oil. I must try it!

Anonymous said...

Pretty bottle! And those muffins are so cute! I've never made mini muffins...simple because I don't have a mini muffin baking rack/sheet. I always ooh and ahh and how cute they are though when other bloggers do!

Anonymous said...

You know, I've seen a few recipes for cakes that use olive oil in place of butter but I've never taken the plunge. Your recipe might be just the push I need. And your suggestion to swap in pistachio oil is almost too decadent to even imagine!

Sharon said...

I love mini muffins but I think I end up eating more since I get the "just one more muffin..." syndrome. I've never baked with olive oil. I'd love to try these!

Sarah said...

Hi Erica, Sharon, and Cheryl!

I like using olive oil in baking. It definitely gives a different flavor and texture, a little more complex I think. It does create a denser cake/muffin, so don't be surprised if you don't get the same amount of rise. That's normal.

These were a huge hit at my husband's office, they were gone in about an hour. Next time I make them I think I will use the pistachio oil instead, and maybe swap the orange zest for strawberries or cherries. The more I think about it, the more appealing the pistachio oil sounds. I don't have any at the moment so I'll have to buy some.