Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Suite Apple Granola, Version 5.09


In January 2008, I posted one of the first recipes I crafted myself: Suite Apple Granola.
About a year ago, I posted an update to that recipe.
I make (and consume) it a lot, so it's in a constant state of evolution.
Time for another revision!
This is the best one yet.
I stay true to the original with little tweaks; the biggest changes are the addition of pecans and the substitution of applesauce for the oil. The applesauce makes a very wet mixture which browns up nice and crisp, and decreases the fat content of the final recipe. I really prefer it this way. I had to use oil again for my last batch because I was out of applesauce and I was disappointed with the results. Applesauce is here to stay!

Granola, version 5.09
A note on the extracts: I've never played with flavored extracts before this, but I like the extra flavor as a result of a tiny bit of these artificial liquids. I love the coconut-almond combination, but try anything you like. I used to use a maple extract, that was good too.

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 single-serve container (4 oz) plain unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbs honey (or maple syrup)
a few dashes of cinnamon
a splash of coconut extract
a splash of almond extract

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and toss with your hands to combine. Add the cinammon and stir gently with a spatula. Add the applesauce and honey, folding together until evenly coated. Add the coconut and almond extracts to taste (just a tiny bit) and mix gently. Dump out on to a baking pan and smooth out.

Bake for 90 minutes, tossing twice. Let cool completely before storing an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

~::~

3 comments:

Erica said...

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. You know I love your granola. I literally make it every week (or week and a half). I can't wait to try the new recipe!

mkp said...

what do you mean by a "container" of applesauce?

Sarah said...

Good question Mom :-) I will revise to be more specific on the applesauce!