Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Learning Experience


Don't you hate it when an experiment in the kitchen doesn't quite work?
~::~

I don't mean miserable failure- that is rare. But when a recipe isn't totally satisfying, I try to focus on the positive. It's a learning experience. I had just such an experience with this pizza.

Spinach and cheese are a winning combination, and Grandma's spanakopita fresh in my memory gave me an appetite for more of those flavors. Combine with a yummy pizza dough, and I didn't think I could go wrong.


Looks good right?


The finished product was too dry. My conclusion is that this topping dries out too much in the oven. The flavors are there, but lacking moisture.

The spinach, feta, and mozzarella mixture would be perfect as a calzone, with the filling protected by the top blanket of dough.

I'm pretty positive it will be great, but I'll let you know once I have confirmation.

~:::~

3 comments:

Erica said...

Def looks good, bummer that it was just ok. The less than amazing dinner recipes ARE great learning experiences! I think you should make a calzone with that amazing topping for sure!

Anonymous said...

I like your calzone idea...the toppings sure look tasty.

Did you brush the dough with oil before putting on the toppings? Maybe some type of spread on the bottom might help keep it moist.

Star said...

Next time how bout making a pesto like sauce with spinach as well that way it keeps with the true flavors but adds moisture and when it comes out drizzling it with a really good evoo