Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Semolina Pizza Dough

I made Broccoli Calzones this weekend, and realized that I have never posted the dough I use most often for pizza and calzones. It comes out great every time, with a nice texture and flavor. Since there's only two of us I usually halve the recipe. It makes the right amount for two with a little pizza/calzone left over. I've provided the calculations for both, saving you a bit of time ;-)

Semolina Pizza Dough
(full recipe, feeds two couples as a main course on a Friday night)

1 1/2 cups warm water
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil (I like to use toasted walnut oil, the flavor is amazing. Any nut oil or regular extra virgin will do)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup semolina flour (aka durum flour or pasta flour)
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp SAF yeast


Semolina Pizza Dough
(half recipe, feeds one couple with a bit of leftovers)

3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup+ 1 Tbs+ 1/2 tsp whole wheat flour
5 Tbs+ 1 tsp semolina flour
1/2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp SAF yeast

~::~

1 comment:

Erica said...

I love having pizza dough on hand. I traditionally make a big batch of whole wheat pizza dough (from 101 cookbooks) and keep small balls of it in the freezer. LOVE it!