Sunday, May 3, 2009

Maple Buttermilk Bread

Look at this lovely crumb!

Mom, are you proud of me? :-)

With some overnight guests this weekend, I wanted plenty of fresh baked goods around. I made a batch of Cranberry Buttermilk Muffins, and sampled this new bread recipe.

I prefer dark whole wheat loaves but I always sample Ray's white ones so I can give an opinion. I'm happy to say that even I would eat this one- it's truly delicious, soft and moist, with a tangy and faintly sweet flavor from the maple syrup.

Maple Buttermilk Bread

from the Bread Machine Cookbook, makes a 1 1/2 lb loaf

1 1/3 cups plus 1 Tbs lowfat buttermilk

1 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

3 Tbs maple syrup

3 cups bread flour

1 Tbs gluten

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 3/4 tsp bread machine yeast

Place all ingredients in a bread machine pan in the order given, and program for the dough cycle (about 90 minutes).

When the cycle ends, unplug the machine and empty the dough on to a floured work surface. Knead a few times and shape in the desired shape. I try for an oblong round. Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Carefully cut a cross in the top center of the dough and cover with a damp towel. Allow to rise for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until the crust is brown and crusty. Allow to cool completely before slicing.

~:~


By the way, I recommend this Clos du Val Chardonnay. We bought it on my birthday Napa trip, and I appreciate it for its dry floral flavor and lack of oak.

I'm a seasonal wine drinker; I prefer dark reds in the winter, but once the weather begins to warm I gravitate towards lighter reds and white wine. It's getting to be that time...

~::~

1 comment:

Erica said...

mmm love fresh bread. I still need to get a bread maker. I bet your guests were thrilled. Great talking to you today :) Sorry I had to go- mommy duty called haha