Saturday, October 18, 2008

Suite 100

Need some sweet ideas?
My foodiesister VeggieGirl posted this list last week and I couldn't wait to participate. How fun it is to see what sweets you've sampled and how many you have left to try!
~:~
1.) Copy this list into your site, including the instructions!
2.) Bold all of the sweets you've eaten, and make them a different type color.
3.) Cross out any of them that you'd never ever eat.
4.) Consider anything that is not bold or crossed out your "To Do" List.
5.) Optional: Post a comment here linking to your results--or just post a comment letting us know how many you've tried, or what you're going to try next!And now, here is

~::~ Suite Apple Pie's Sweet 100 List ~::~

1. Red Velvet Cake- recently, at a wedding shower this summer

2. Princess Torte- this was my wedding cake

3. Whoopie Pie- like a glorious homemade Oreo

4. Apple Pie, either topped or baked with sharp cheddar- My favorite! Topped with crust, with streseul, sharp cheddar, mixed with pumpkin, and more!

5. Beignet
A French doughnut popular in New Orleans

6. Baklava- eaten, and made here

7. Black and white cookie- a few New York trips ago. . .

8. Seven Layer Bar (also known as the Magic Bar or Hello Dolly bars) - I know them as Seven Layer Bars; not my favorte but I have tried them

9. Fried Fruit pie (sometimes called hand pies) - a Peach hand pie

10. Kringle
Scandinavian pastry in a pretzel shape

11. Just-fried (still hot) doughnut- Krispy Kreme donuts in college. You could go into the shop and order them straight off the conveyer belt

12. Scone with clotted cream- a family classic, I've had more scones with clotted cream than I could count


13. Betty, Grunt, Slump, Buckle or Pandowdy - Apple Brown Betty, Blueberry Buckle, Apple Pandowdy, Blueberry Slump!


14. Halvah
also known as "Turkish Delight," made of starch and sugar and flavored with rosewater

15. Macaroons - I love these French beauties. Not the heavy coconut American things, but the light and flavorful shell-shaped cookies in pistachio and chocolate

16. Banana pudding with nilla wafers

17. Bubble tea (with tapioca “pearls”) - a common treat on the Peninsula, at first I disliked these drinks but they grow on you in a strange (squishy) way

18. Dixie Cup

19. Rice Krispie treats - who has not? Mom used to make these with puffed wheat cereal instead, so I'd have the 'authentic' version at friends' houses (I like Mom's better)

20. Alfajores
Latin dessert; two sweet biscuits sandwiches with dulce de leche or jam, and covered in powdered sugar

21. Blondies - mmm yes, but I prefer chocolatey brownies

22. Croquembouche
I have yet to try this gorgeous dessert but I can't wait! It's a tower of cream filled puffs and dressed in spun sugar. A traditional French wedding cake

23. Girl Scout cookies - oi who hasn't? I was a Girl Scout for a few years and have bought them almost every year since. I believe it's the Samoas (chocolate, caramel, and coconut?) I like the best

24. Moon cake
rich and dense Chinese pastry filled with lotus seed paste, served during the Mid-Autumn Festival

25. Candy Apple - I had my first Candy Apple (NH was appalled!) about two years ago at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Several shops sell them along with fudge. It was ok, it was covered in caramel and peanuts. But once the outside is gone it's no good anymore, the apples used are not very good

26. Baked Alaska (REALLY want to try this!)
ice cream and sponge cake covered in meringue and baked until golden

27. Brooklyn Egg Cream
chocolate syrup, milk, and carbonated water

28. Nanaimo bar
Canadian dessert: wafer, vanilla custard, chocolate

29. Baba au rhum
yeast cake saturated with rum and topped with whipped cream

30. King Cake - given to me by a friend at work who is from New Orleans, and wasn't able to travel home for Mardi Gras. Lovely gooey sweet stuff

31. Sachertorte
dense Viennese chocolate cake with apricot jam

32. Pavlova - how I love the light airy marshmallowness of Pavlova! without the cream, and extra berries!

33. Tres Leches Cake

34. Trifle- I've had many different trifles in my life. It's a very versatile dessert that can be any flavor, with any number of components. Usually custard, sponge cake, and whipped cream are involved

35. Shoofly Pie
Pennsylvania Dutch molasses pie

36. Key Lime Pie (made with real key lime)

37. Panna Cotta

38. New York Cheesecake

39. Napoleon / mille-fueille - a favorite of my family when purchasing pastries for a Sunday tea

40. Russian Tea Cake / Mexican Wedding Cake - or Kourabiedes in Cyprus, every culture has a version of this cookie

41. Anzac biscuits
Australian sweet biscuit with oats, flour, and sugar

42. Pizzelle

43. Kolache
Central European pastry filled with many things from cheeses to fruit

44. Buckeyes - Thanks to VeggieGirl! :-)

45. Malasada
Portuguese doughnut

46. Moon Pie
graham crackers and marshmallow dipped in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, or banana

47. Dutch baby - a lovely fluffy pancake, this is a really special breakfast

48. Boston Cream Pie - my mother has made a fabulous Boston Cream Pie, AND Boston Cream cupcakes

49. Homemade chocolate chip cookies

50. Pralines

51. Gooey butter cake- NH's mother makes this, I believe it has roots in the Midwest

52. Rusks
British hard biscuit

53. Daifuku- I've had this sweet mochi stuffed with sweet bean paste for dessert after a dim sum lunch

54. Green tea cake or cookies

55. Cupcakes from a cupcake shop

56. Crème brûlée

57. Some sort of deep fried fair food (twinkie, candy bar, cupcake)

58. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting

59. Jelly Roll

60. Pop Tarts - first time in college!

61. Charlotte Russe
cold cream dessert molded with ladyfingers

62. An “upside down” dessert (Pineapple upside-down cake or Tarte Tatin)

63. Hummingbird Cake - a Southern favorite
pecans, bananas, cinnamon, cream cheese frosting

64. Jell-O from a mold


65. Black forest cake
chocolate cake layers with whipped cream and cherries between each

66. Mock Apple Pie (Ritz Cracker Pie)

67. Kulfi
frozen Indian dessert


68. Linzer torte

69. Churro

70. Stollen
German bread cake

71. Angel Food Cake

72. Mincemeat pie

73. Concha
Mexican sweet-topped buns

74. Opera Cake

75. Sfogliatelle / Lobster tail

76. Pain au chocolat

77. A piece of Gingerbread House

78. Cassata
Sicilian sponge cake with ricotta, often Grand Marnier, pistachios, espresso, rum. . .

79. Cannoli - I've had the kind with the traditional ricotta filling as opposed to whipped cream. Not my favorite, but I have sampled

80. Rainbow cookies- I can't place where I've had these, but one look at a picture online and I remember how they taste. Isn't that funny?

81. Religieuse
Choux pastry with blackcurrant and violet custard. French of course.

82. Petits fours - I love these cute little fondant covered bites of cake. When I was very small we'd have them as a special treat from the fresh market near our house in Cary, NC

83. Chocolate Souffle - Barracuda makes a fabulous chocolate souffle

84. Bienenstich (Bee Sting Cake)
I saw Rachael Ray eat this from a Sonoma bakery on $40 A Day. Must find this bakery on next trip :-)

85. Rugelach - look here. As a child we'd buy chocolate rugelach from Harry's

86. Hamenstashen
three-cornered Jewish pastry, filled with jam and traditional at Purim

87. Homemade marshmallows - I have not made them myself though, I need to psych myself up to work with that much sticky gooeyness.

88. Rigo Janci
Hungarian chocolate cake

89. Pie or cake made with candy bar flavors (Snickers pie, Reeses pie, etc)

90. Divinity
meringue candy

91. Coke or Cola cake

92. Gateau Basque
French tart with pastry cream and cherries soaked in brandy

93. S’mores - mmmmm I've had these by many a campfire, and also prepared on the stove/microwave at home. Try them with cinnamon graham crackers and dark chocolate

94. Figgy Pudding

95. Bananas foster or another flaming dessert
REALLY can't wait to try this dessert of bananas sauteed in butter and rum and flambeed with vanilla ice cream

96. Joe Froggers - yes! look here if you want to know what these are :-)

97. Sables
French butter cookie

98. Millionaire’s Shortbread
British shortbread with top layers of caramel and chocolate

99. Animal crackers - frosted or unfrosted, an essential part of an American childhood. What preschool/kindergarten doesn't stock these for snacktime treats?

100. Basbousa
Middle Eastern cake made with semolina and covered with syrup

~:::~

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looooove your version of the list, my fellow foodiesister (haha, love the term).

I agree about the animal crackers - I think it's practically an unspoken rule that all preschoolers have animal crackers, haha :0)