Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm Learning

Lessons Learned So Far:

1. Lettuce is fab at home but dicey at work. Stick with other veggies in salad form.
2. Yogurt and cereal is great and satisfying, but not the best for my energy level at 2:30pm. Enjoy this sparingly.


3. I try to get my carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables only, but just a few crackers really helps with satiety throughout the second half of the day.


4. Grapes right now are UNBELIEVABLE!! Really crunchy outside and crunchy-sweet inside.




Today's salad combo includes a rainbow of color with cherry tomatoes, roasted sweet potato, purple cabbage, roasted corn, carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, homemade hummus and a tiny bit of fresh goat cheese, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar

~:~
This fresh hummus recipe is wonderful for work. I made it almost 2 weeks ago and it's still going strong!
Leaving out the garlic avoids any dragon breath during meetings :-) The flavors are there while you eat but don't linger after the fact. This time I gave it some Indian flavor with garam masala which I love, but you can substitute cumin or any other spices that you like.
Fresh Hummus
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 Tbs tahini
2 lemons
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper
1-2 teaspoons garam masala
In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, yogurt, and tahini. Zest half of one lemon and juice both into the mixture. Add the garam masala, salt and pepper, and puree until smooth. Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
~::~

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oh my goodness, I know, grapes are DEFINITELY at their peak right now!! I can't get enough of them - I eat them in abundance, everyday now, haha :0)

HUMMUS!!! Holy yum.