Tuesday, February 2, 2010

shake shake shake

Good afternoon! How is your Tuesday???

Let me start this post about a shake by saying that I'm sort of meh when it comes to them. Shakes in general I mean.

Professing a lack of enthusiasm is not the greatest start for a food blogger, but hear me out. They just don't keep me full like I want them too. Calorie rich, gone in a few moments, and still hungry is not a trio I like to have around. You know what I mean?
This one I like. It's light, creamy, and quite delish. It's a short list of ingredients that I always have around. I keep ripened, peeled bananas in my freezer primarily for this guy and for making banana bread, so if you do the same you're all set. You don't? That's easily fixed; inevitably when you buy a bunch of bananas one or two ends up too brown and past the point of delicious eating. Peel those and seal in a freezer bag for one day (long enough to get them good and frozen).
I make this recipe for Ray after a morning weight workout, or I can increase the bananas for a thicker version that gets served in a bowl with some sprinkled granola for a more filling meal.

PB Banana Shake

1 cup soy, nonfat, or lowfat milk
1/2-3/4 cup frozen sliced banana (depending on the thickness you want)
1 Tbs smooth peanut butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve in a tall glass or in a bowl.

Topping suggestions: sprinkle of cocoa powder, granola, or whipped cream if you're feeling indulgent

~::::~

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm the absolute opposite. I love a good shake, especially at an ice cream shop when I'm feeling indulgent.

Erica said...

I am so the same way! I need to chew to feel full! Sounds like a delicious shake though! I actually just had a shake! I'm trying to get my protein up so I am back on my Jay Robb Egg White shakes. I just do a little milk, lots of ice and a scoop of protein. Very tasty. Hope you're doing well :)