Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bacon Pasta

BACON!

If any meat sneaks on to my plate now and then, it's bacon.
Just like this, with big flavor in tiny shards strewn on a plate. This one is like pasta carbonara, but I use no eggs in the sauce.

That's me.
But the majority of my cooking is done with my partner in mind. Meat and pasta factor in a good number of my dinnertime victories for him, as well as things I throw together without a recipe and as I go. If I trust my instincts I'm usually right, so on a busy weeknight I felt confident in this one's success.

This is a super easy dish made with pantry items; the peas add some green and a freshness to the dish, and using lowfat milk instead of cream keeps the sauce very light.
Two servings for us means one dinner and leftovers for another day, but you could increase the amount by any fraction.
I keep a package of bacon in the freezer and take out any amount I need at a time (thawed a bit first to break the slices apart).

Bacon Pasta
serves 2

2 slices of bacon, coarsely chopped
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
1 heaping cup petite peas, thawed
1/2 cup lowfat milk
8 ounces spaghetti

Put a large pot of water on to boil.

Heat a saucier pan over medium-low and add the bacon. Stir and saute until the bacon becomes crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Add the shallot to the leftover bacon fat and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the milk and deglaze the pan by scraping the bottom with your wooden spoon to get all the lovely bacon bits. Add the peas and bring the sauce to a simmer.

Meanwhile, add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Using tongs, add the pasta to the pan of sauce and toss to coat. Serve and top each plate with peas and bacon (they slip to the bottom of the pan).

~:::~

1 comment:

Erica said...

What a great, simple dish- perfect for a busy week night. I would love to eat at your house- all of your food is comforting (even when its healthy!!!) - love love it!