Wednesday, February 24, 2010

First Green SIAB

This first try, I definitely wanted a Smoothie In A Bowl- eating with a spoon from a bowl is much more satisfying than drinking from a glass. Felt like I was enjoying a bowl of ice cream!
I used:
  • a handful of spinach
  • 2 slices frozen peach
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 5-6 ice cubes
  • about 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
  • splenda
  • 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
I learned several things right off the bat:

Firstly, the xanthan gum really works! Man, this was so thick and creamy, like full fat ice cream. Maybe I used a little too much, but such a small amount goes a long way.

Secondly, the spinach is really good! Banana and peach are the dominant flavors, and spinach actually adds a bit of sweetness. Plus, love the pretty mint color.

Lastly, my blender stinks. We could definitely use a new one, it had a really hard time blending this and the motor actually made an awful smell by the end. Ewww!

This bowl is about 3/4 of the blended mixture. I topped it with a spoonful of granola, and now I'm STUFFED.

I'm not sure if the portion was too much for one?
Needless to say I'm pleased, this is a pretty good snack- liquids, a serving of vegetables and fruit.

~::::~

3 comments:

Erica said...

Isn't it so so good? The sweetness from the banana really makes it! I've never purchased xanthan gum- I want to try now

Unknown said...

glad you liked it!! yeah i think most "recipes" suggest more along the lines of 1/4t xanthan gum. i kind of prefer the heartier shake instead of the light nothing-ness quality that the xanthan gum imparted... but that's just me :)

Kat said...

This looks good, I have never tried a smoothie in a bowl and will definitely try this! Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday. I responded in the comments there, but wanted to leave you a note here too. Yes, we are practically neighbors...:-) I live in El Granada, just north of HMB near the Pillar Point Harbor. One of my clients is in San Mateo and I do go over the hill quite a bit! I have been reading your blog for awhile and enjoy your recipes. I first learned about it when Kath at KERF posted about your coconut almond granola recipe. I have made it several times and it is my favorite granola recipe. Thank you for that!