Monday, November 9, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash Salad

I'd like to share a winter recipe that I'm obsessed with right now.
This butternut squash salad is inspired by something I found in the prepared foods case at Whole Foods. I came for a bit of poached salmon, and this salad was sitting right next to it. I couldn't believe how delicious it was; after two or three repeat visits, I decided to make my own at home. I noted the ingredients and came up with what you see here.
I am happy to report that my version was better than the original- the chunks of butternut squash sit well with the cranberries, and the fresh thyme is very important. I'd consider using even more in the future, but the recipe shows what I used today.


I've been enjoying this salad as an added component to a salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, poached salmon, walnut oil and balsamic vinegar. Sounds bizarre I know, but it works well. On one occasion, I paired it with some roasted broccoli, on another with roasted chickpeas. I'm thinking of substituting pumpkin for the butternut squash next time. So many more possibilities in the future. . .
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad

1 butternut squash
1/2 red onion
1 Tbs fresh thyme, chopped fine
2 Tbs olive oil
salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
dash of red wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the dried cranberries in a bowl and pour hot water over the top. Let sit and rehydrate while preparing the other ingredients.
Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and stringy inside with a spoon. Cut each half into three, and remove skin by slicing down the edge. Cut each piece into cubes. Take the 1/2 red onion and cut it into 3 sections, then each of those sections into cubes. Place in a large bowl with the squash and add the olive oil, salt, and fresh thyme. Roast for 35 minutes, tossing once in the middle.

Remove the vegetables from the oven and add the drained cranberries. Sprinkle with the vinegar, tossing with a spatula to mix everything together. Transfer to a serving dish, and serve hot, at room temperature, or cold.

~::::~

6 comments:

Erica said...

mmm Whole foods is inspiring and this looks incredible! Isn't it amazing how the best meals have few ingredients?

lynn said...

butternut squash and cranberries is such a delicious (and beautiful) combo

Unknown said...

it also goes well on pizza :) so great to meet you this weekend! i may have to come visit again so we can indulge in your parent's fig tree ;) hope you had a safe drive back!

Sarah said...

Pizza topping... what a great idea Shannon!

brandi said...

I love roasted squash - I think it goes well with just about anything :)

Unknown said...

ps- meant to add that I gave you an award on my latest post ;) Happy Thursday!