Thursday, July 2, 2009

Funny Bunnies

This is the most phallic baking experience I have ever had.


Shaping these was definitely interesting. I was having a bit of an immature afternoon. . .

These hot dog buns taste great, but are definitely misshapen. You need one of those hot dog pans to make these the correct shape. Didn't detract from taste though, and I'm all about flavor above appearance. These were a home for some chicken apple sausage for the men, and a nice grilled veggie sammich for me.

My recipes for "hamburger buns" and "hot dog buns" are identical- I just shape them differently. I made 8 but they were large- I've written on my physical recipe to always do 10 or 12 from now on, but by all means make 'em huge.


Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns
8 large or 12 regular sized

1 cup lukewarm water

2 Tbs unsalted butter

1 egg

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup toasted wheat germ

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

1 Tbs yeast

Put all ingredients in a bread machine and set for the dough cycle. When the cycle ends, turn out on a floured work surface. Knead and separate into 8-12 even pieces of dough. Shape into logs for hot dog buns or flat rounds for hamburger buns. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rise for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Whisk one egg and a splash of water in a small bowl. Brush the tops of the buns with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on a rack before slicing and serving.

~::~

1 comment:

Erica said...

These look totally amazing. I was planning on having friends over for dinner soon, I am going to be making hot dogs for them (and a veggie sammie for me) using this recipe for sure! Thank you :)