Monday, February 16, 2009

On the Fly

I had no intention of posting about this batch of pizza.

But fresh out of the oven, it was too beautiful not to document.


It has been raining HARD all day long, so any plans to leave the house went out the window. Since pizza takes a little longer than I usually have, I jumped at the chance to make it. Above and below you see Ray's personal pizza. I have a thing for calzone lately so I made one for me, just isn't as pretty as Ray's pizza.


How can this not make you salivate?


Not much of a recipe here- I've previously posted about the whole wheat semolina dough and the cheese we prefer (TJ's Quattro Formaggio mix).

However, I did throw together a delicious tomato sauce to share with you.

Sauce for Pizza, Version 2.15.09


1 Tbs olive oil
1 can chopped tomatoes in rich juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, sliced
2 splashes of red wine (we opened a Malbec tonight, but whatever you've got)
handful of spinach, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
generous amount of crushed red pepper flakes

Add the olive oil to a saucier pan on medium heat and add the shallots. Saute for a few minutes, then add the garlic and continue to saute until fragrant, about a minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and the red wine and increase the heat. Once it starts to bubble, lower the heat to medium low and add the chopped spinach, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes. Continue to cook for 15-2o minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and reserve until ready to use.

~::~

2 comments:

Erica said...

Yum! I just love homemade pizza! Looks just so pretty :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Can't beat homemade!!