Friday, September 19, 2008

So Good It's Almost Dessert

I must have done something good because I had this for an evening meal

This is art and must be shared

My Sushi Blossom Roll

Flavor is my #1 priority, but if food is also beautiful...
Half of me wants to devour and half wants to sit and admire.

Sushi perfection to me means a roll that contains all of my favorite components; this particular roll (the Sushi Blossom Roll) is as close to that as I've ever come.
The interior of this roll contains tuna, crab, and avocado, with thick slices of fresh salmon on top. The rose in the center is salmon and tuna with a bit of tobiko (teeny fish eggs) on top.

The one missing component is some sweet and creamy unagi (freshwater eel). As the owner sweetly explained to me, it sounds nice but the flavors would not blend together well; it would be better in a separate roll. As you can see from the size here, this is plenty of food for one person.

Look at the size of NH's Crunch Spicy Tuna roll- huge!!

Ray's Spicy Tuna Crunch Roll

And the appropriately-named Monster Roll (from a previous visit). It's a splurge of soft shell crab, unagi and salmon, with some teriyaki and mayo sauce on top.
This is not traditional sushi but boy is it delicious!

Monster Roll with Salmon

Sushi Blossom is a wonderful local find in Belmont, just south of San Mateo. The owner is sweet, attentive, and will customize any roll for you (if you ask nicely). They also have a frequent diner's card, with a free roll after 8 visits. How nice!
The green tea is well-brewed, the miso soup hot and flavorful. Each roll is ginormous and generous with fish, so you really get your money's worth.
It has quickly become a favorite casual spot, and I can't wait to sample their udon once cold weather arrives.

Sushi Blossom Interior

Sushi Blossom
550 Masonic Way
Belmont, CA 94002
(650) 593-2291
http://www.sushiblossom.com/

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

True (edible) works of art, for sure!