Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Vegetable with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes, another Spur-of-the-Moment Soup

Soup Close-up

On Monday, dinner was an afterthought for two reasons:

A gas scent emanating from the floor heater,
Research on switching our internet and cable provider.

We still ate, but NH had leftovers from Sunday dinner and I made soup which was in my tummy before I thought to write it down.

PG&E sent someone to our house right away. The heater pilot light was partially out and the pipes were filthy. Our house was built in 1948; we have a new thermostat but the original heating vents and pipes are still here. We weren't in immediate danger, but I'm so glad it's fixed!
As for the cable/internet, we can finally rid ourselves of Comcast :-) big smile from me, don't get me started on those guys.

~:~

Back to more interesting things like food.

Monday's soup was so delicious I made it again for both of us. I used my last 1/2 yellow onion in the first batch, but rather than make an annoying grocery run I used some shallots and red onion.

Carrots, Red Onion, Shallots

Use any combination of vegetable broth, chicken broth, and water- or all of one. Whatever you prefer. Making this soup reminds me that I need to buy parmesan in block form only. Pre-grated is convenient but you don't have the lovely rind to save in the freezer for soups like this. It's a purchase that keeps on giving. Mental note.

Hunt's Fire-Roasted Tomatoes

Some people have strong opinions about canned fire-roasted tomatoes. I love them, but Mom doesn't and she'd probably just use regular. I love their smokey flavor; in past days I'd eat them mostly plain, heated with a tiny bit of pasta and cheese.
Give them a try; I prefer Muir Glen or Hunt's brand. If you don't like them substitute crushed tomatoes, which will give the soup more body than chopped.

Saucier Pan

Vegetable Soup with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes

1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
6 baby carrots or 1 large carrot, sliced
3 shallots or 1 onion, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 parmesan rind
1/4 cup soup pasta- I love this circle pasta from Trader Yo's

Circle Pasta

1 cup frozen peas
chopped fresh basil
salt to taste

Heat the olive oil over medium-low in a saucier pan, and add the carrots and shallots. Saute until softened, about 4 minutes.

Add the vegetable broth and/or water along with the parmesan rind. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, and bring to a simmer.

Add the pasta and simmer until the pasta is nearly al dente (check your pasta's particular cooking time), stirring to make sure the pasta does not stick to the bottom.

Soup A-Simmering

The white object in the upper right corner is the parm rind. Mmmm

Just before al dente, add the frozen peas and stir to heat them through. Add half of the chopped basil to the pot, and use the rest to garnish each bowl. Serve.

~::~

Regarding the number of servings this makes, it depends.
This soup will feed NH and I with one or two bowls leftover. I eat a lot of soup. I make something on the side for NH- a cheese toast or bread and butter goes great with soup. I just have the soup so I eat much more.

Vegetable and Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup

~:::~

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Eek, thank goodness you definitely WEREN'T in immediate danger!! And thank goodness for delicious, spur-of-the-moment soups :0)

Erica said...

Ahh soup...always so comforting! I love fire roasted tomatoes!! I'm glad you got the gas issue fixed- thats scary!

Erica said...

We're moving to Charleston! I just cannot wait!