Tuesday, April 29, 2008

New Furniture and A Cobbler

Da Da Da Da!


The new kitchen island has arrived, or 'Baking Central' as I've been lovingly calling it.

My baking supplies have been homeless since we moved in; now they are safely tucked away within these cabinets and my primary workspace is its counter. I gave it some personal flair with these pretty knobs I've admired at Anthropologie.



NH and I put a lot of sweat and blood into assembling this baby on Saturday. The directions were deceiving in places; there was a moment when I thought it would remain in pieces in the living room. It was all worth it (a funny memory!), and I love the new set-up it has created- we now have a hallway through there, creating a nice flow to the room.

And the perfect surface to whip up the nice strawberry cobbler I made this afternoon as a surprise treat for NH. Seems that cobblers aren't typically made with strawberries; I couldn't find a recipe, so I made it up using my favorite cobbler topping recipe from The Occasional Vegetarian by Karen Smith. I'm planning to serve it with whipped cream after dinner tonight- hope he likes it!



Strawberry Cobbler

4 cups frozen strawberries, thawed
3/4 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoons Baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted Butter, cubed
2 Tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Put thawed strawberries in an 8x8 baking dish. Add sugar and cornstarch and toss to coat. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the butter and blend with your fingers. Add the milk to the mixture and mash with a fork lightly until a loose dough is formed. Roll the dough until thin and place over the strawberries. Don't worry if the dough falls apart, just make sure to move all the dough to the baking dish. It may not cover the whole top, that's ok.

Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream. Leftovers are good for breakfast the next day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ask me to put together another handy kitchen item in exchange for more cobbler you are on. Yum.

Erica said...

Just put this in the oven! I used blackberries and strawberries! I cannot wait to eat it! You are the best- I would be lost without your yummy blog

calicodaisy said...

This looks good. I've been looking for a cobbler without too much milk. Do you think it will work over peaches?