Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Stream of Conscious

"I want to try a new sauce for Asian vegetables.
Miso sounds yummy, I should try a miso glaze
I've heard of miso glazes before. Maybe with miso and soy sauce? Let's do an internet search. . .
~
Ah, miso with mirin and soy sauce.
I don't have mirin, but I have sake and I know that works too.
~
Miso-glazed eggplant. Yum, and I bought a gorgeous eggplant this week too.
But NH doesn't like eggplant. I'll give the sauce a try and make the eggplant another day.
I can use the Asian vegetables we have in the freezer.
~
Ok making the glaze. . . mmm it's good but maybe some grated ginger too. And a little chicken broth to thin it out.
I'll toss some tofu in it too and sear that up. Excellent!"


~:~

This was literally my thought process today while planning dinner. I made this glaze and used it to stir fry vegetables, sear tofu, and garnish chicken for the resident carnivore.

I used part of two frozen bags of vegetables: an Asian mix from Safeway (broccoli, carrots, bamboo shoots, and sugar snap peas) and another mix from Nijiya Market. This one was filled with items I had to look up: taro, lotus root, and burdock along with carrots, bamboo shoots, and shiitake mushrooms.
I liked the lotus root and taro, but wasn't too hot on the burdock. Maybe in another preparation, or fresh- I'll have to try it again.

The recipe I've stated below made enough glaze to toss sparingly with the tofu, the chicken, and in the stir-fried vegetables with a little bit leftover to drizzle on top.


Miso-Sake Glaze

3 Tbs white miso
2 Tbs sake
2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp grated fresh ginger

Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together to combine. Add extra chicken broth to make the sauce more runny.

~::~

2 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Great new glaze!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, SARAH!!!

Erica said...

hahhaa LOVE your thought process! Looks like it turned out very nice!