Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Little Tart

Halloween was so much fun! I've never seen so many trick-or-treaters out and about, and I've never given out so much candy. Our little neighborhoods with its houses close together is a mecca for candy-seekers all over San Mateo.
As much candy as we had (over 1000 pieces) we still ran out!


A few friends gathered at our house to enjoy some dinner and hand out candy with us.
Our autumn-themed spread- sweet potato fries, cheeses and breads, homemade applesauce, pumpkin bread, an egg frittata, and marshmallows for toasting- deeply satisfied.

My friend V. and I share similar sensibilities about food from a health and fitness perspective. She's a carnivore and I'm a veggie, but in most other aspects we see eye to eye. I knew she'd like my Roasted Applesauce, and I was so pleased when she exclaimed, "You could put this in a pie, it's sooo good!"
Well, what a brilliant thought. :-)

~::~


Our household is not big enough for a whole apple pie, but I did have some leftover pastry in the freezer. I work late this evening and he will be home to take care of the trash and Padma, so I have a little treat for him- his own Mini Applesauce Tart.

I made the pastry months ago for the top of a chicken pot pie- I'm not sure exactly how much it was but this is more of an idea than a recipe.


I rolled it out, spooned the applesauce in the middle and folded the sides up for a rustic freeform shape.



I baked the tart on a greased and floured baking sheet at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 minutes. I knew it was done when the crust looked a little brown and toasty.
Because the pastry was a savory dough (pate brisee), I sprinkled a bit of baker's fine sugar on top before letting it cool.

The pastry looks crispy and will complement the smooth applesauce nicely. The perfect serving dish? My sweet little pie dish, a $5 find at Michael's.




The simplest and easiest home-baked apple tart ever, IMO

~:::~

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

An applesauce tart?!?!??! Fabulous!!! Your friend V. is brilliant for suggesting that - love it!! :-D

Erica said...

How cute! He will LOVE coming home to that. Does he know he has one of the best wives ever?

Anonymous said...

your tart looks like something right out of a gourmet bakery - love the cute plate too!