Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What's In My Fridge?

I've read several "What's In My Fridge?" blogposts lately. This is such an interesting notion to me, who first thought of this? Despite the slightly bizarre concept, the more I think about it the more I realize that it's no different from other personal things we write about.

And this is quite personal. Looking inside a fridge can be like looking into the owner's soul. These are the things you keep around and consume. What leftovers are you holding on to? What condiments are kept- which containers and empty and which are still full? How much alcohol do you keep chilled and ready?

I resolved to participate in this common blog post. I promise you that I'm showing it to you as is; I swear I've removed nothing and have tried to name every item.



Here is our fridge- the first I've ever had with a non-magnetic surface, hence the lack of colorful artwork and magnets. It's big and pretty well stocked so get ready. Let's go inside....



Ok, the bottom shelf. Where all the big stuff lives.

NH's cranberry juice and 2% milk, our Brita water pitcher, some Diet Sunkist, and the remains of a bottle of Safeway Clear Sparkling Cranberry Raspberry.

The plastic bag contains the remains of a pumpkin loaf I made earlier this week; the tupperware beneath it has leftover shepherd's pie filling, what was left when I made the dish for NH on Monday. That should probably just get thrown away.

Next to that is low-fat peach yogurt and the last of our cherries in the green colander. Behind that is some extra-firm tofu, and my 8th Continent soy milk.

What's in the coffee mug? It's actually leftover homemade tomato sauce. I'm not sure why I put it in there- it seemed like it would fit and it did!


Next Shelf: Dip NH purchased from NapaStyle (he says it's not as good as when he originally sampled it), some chunks of bread, leftover gravy in the tupperware.

Behind that, his Country Crock butter and some parmesan, one banana yogurt and one strawberry yogurt, Rainbow Chip frosting for Ray's graham crackers.

Way in the back is the wheat germ I use when making bread.


Top Left: Hot Salsa for NH, an apple from which I chop pieces for my oatmeal. The green cup holds about a tablespoon of pumpkin puree, and behind that is some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light.


Top Right: Cherries for oatmeal, whipped cream cheese, pear cinnamon caramel sauce bought in Napa, homemade cilantro pesto in the tupperware.

Behind that is the pear and plum chutney I made for the housewarming party, and some spicy Arrabiata tomato sauce that we love on our pizza.


Our (very healthy) cheese drawer- partly due to the housewarming: full wedges of D'Affinois Brie and Gorgonzola Dolce, a tiny bit of mozzarella in the bag, Saenkanter Gouda, Laura Chevel goat cheese, sharp cheddar slices, and feta crumbles.

Also some vegetable shortening left from making sugar cookies at Christmas.
















Left Crisper: Romaine and butter lettuce, cucumber, red onion, red cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, and some scallions I should throw away.

Right Crisper: carrots, SAF yeast, gluten, and Barley flour.


On to the fridge door. Here's the bottom shelf, left to right:
sesame oil, fish sauce, St. Louis barbecue sauce, oyster sauce, strawberry syrup, yellow mustard, dijon mustard, truffle oil, hot sauce, soy sauce, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, hazelnut sugar-free Coffeemate


Next, we have some walnut oil, a bottle of fizzy water, maple syrup, sriracha and homemade boysenberry jam behind it, emergency bottle of Coffeemate, low-fat mayo, and ketchup; spicy mustard, apricot jam, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, kalamata olives, capers, homemade strawberry jam.


Finally, in the top of the door we have some eggs (the loose one is hard-boiled), whipped cream, one Hefeweizen, peach Fresca, and a carton of low-fat buttermilk.
That's our fridge! And in our fruit "bowl,"


A yellow onion, some shallots, and a head of garlic; a lovely pineapple; two oranges, a lemon, and the last two tomatoes.

There you have it, the inside of my fridge. You now know us better than many people we see daily. Strange and comforting at the same time.

~

This morning NH asked me to take a picture of his breakfast, saying that I could share it with you on my blog.
As you may have noticed I slipped above and referred to him by name: Ray. I noticed after but decided to leave it. I've been writing long enough that the pseudonym doesn't seem completely necessary. I'll continue to refer to him as NH, or "New Husband" most often but now you know his true identity. :-)
NH is wonderfully self-sufficient with breakfast on the weekdays; although I wouldn't be interested in some of his combinations, his creativity is not lost on me.
So here it is, NH's breakfast on Thursday, May 22, 2008:


A glass of milk, strawberry Uncrustable sandwich, some cherries and crumbled Gouda cheese.

~

For me?

My favorite oatmeal as usual, except a new combination with cherries and almond granola. I've talked about it before but I've never shown it here on the blog. I think of it as I begin making it, but my hunger takes over and I'm halfway through the bowl before I realize that I forgot to document it!
I hope to remember tomorrow, the cherry almond oatmeal was wonderful! Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your fridge is so fully and happy! XD
I love that you guys have a cheese drawer~it's interesting to see all the different types together!

And I do agree that your fridge represents a part of who you are~I mean, it's really like a big, cold box of your belongings [aka food] when you think of it that way~

Erica said...

Love the fridge pics! I am def adding you to my list of favorite blogs!! BTW- your wedding pictures are gorgeous!

Erica said...

tag your it! Check my blog!

Chef Jeena said...

You have a lovely blog. :-)