Friday, September 14, 2007

Recipe- Lasagna with Pesto and Fresh Tomatoes

I've made many recipes, and I often modify them if they need improvement, or to just make them more my own. This often suits if I simply don't have exact ingredients and work with what I have.

I have officially written my first recipe from my own head, and I'd like to share it with you here. I prepared it last night, and New Husband was quite pleased with the results. I'd like to tinker with it a bit more and will share the evolution with you, but here is version 1.0. I made it for 2, but you can easily double the recipe if you have a larger crowd.

Lasagna with Pesto and Fresh Tomatoes

pesto:
1/2 bunch fresh basil
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
a handful of fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup part skim ricotta
2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
3-4 Tablespoons walnut oil
warm water
salt and pepper to taste

2 portobello mushrooms, cut into chunks
1 Tablespoon walnut oil
salt and pepper

4 large tomatoes, cut into chunks, with 4 slices for garnish
about 3/4 cups shredded cheese- I used
a fontina, parmesan, and asiago blend
8 no-boil lasagna noodles

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the pesto: place basil, walnuts, spinach, ricotta, and parmesan in a food processor and pulse to combine. With the processor running, add the walnut oil, and then the warm water to create a fairly liquid consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

For the mushrooms: Toss with the walnut oil and salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes. Remove and drop the oven temperature down to 350 degrees.

To assemble the lasagna: Place the lasagna noodles in a large dish and pour boiling water over them. Soak for 10 minutes, tossing to make sure the noodles don't stick together. Drain the noodles on paper towels, and set aside.
Spread a heaping Tablespoon of pest on the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish. Lay 2 pasta noodles down and spoon pesto to coat all over lightly. Layer tomatoes to cover, followed by 1/4 of the mushrooms. Sprinkle some of the cheese on top. Repeat with the noodles, pesto, tomatoes, and mushrooms and cheese 2 more times, using all the mushrooms on the last layer. For the final layer, add the remaining noodles, and the four reserved tomato slices. Top with the remainder of cheese.
Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20 minutes more. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve.

Serves 2.

The lasagna came out really well; it was flavorful and delicious. I think my improvements on future try would be to tinker with the amounts of tomatoes and mushrooms. The pesto is a lighter pesto but still rich, so more fresh tomatoes would be welcome. And we love mushrooms, so more is always good! In short, we devoured the majority of it which is saying alot of New Husband who can't eat much of just one thing.

No comments: