Friday, August 6, 2010

Slush

It's unseasonably cold here for summer. Bay Area microclimates can mean 15 degree differences in a short distance, but the chill here is not the norm. San Francisco is notorious for its chilly summers, but outside the Fog City it should be hot. San Mateo can be windy year-round, but I'm not accustomed to digging for long sleeves in August.

Being six months pregnant, I'm not complaining at all. I have a lower tolerance for the heat, so the cool air feels like a personal gift to me. It's still nice out- sunny everyday with some warmth with it- but I'm not sweating as I sit.
Luckily the low temps don't mean we're deprived of California's fresh summer produce that comes with the season. We're still gorging on corn, zucchini, cherries, peaches, tomatoes, strawberries, basil . . .


And watermelon. Its appeal occurred to me in the last few years; we had it as kids but I'd reach for berries or stone fruit instead. Now I love its mild sweet flavor and watery texture. Right now that extra water is helpful with hydration as well as the nutrition it provides- vitamins C, A, B6, and B1, potassium and magnesium. About 50 calories in a cup makes it a low calorie snack option too.

For a fun snack with some balance, I puree the fruit with some plain yogurt, ice, vanilla, and some xantham gum for thickness. That latter turns a smooth drink into a spoonable bowl. Topped with a little garnish. You have to have a bit of garnish on something in a bowl. It's quick to make; it actually takes longer to clean up the food processor. Which may be the one downer to this snack.


Watermelon Slush

1 cup watermelon
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
4 ice cubes
splash of vanilla
1 tsp xantham gum

Whirl all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth and slightly thick. Pour into a bowl and top as you please. I like two teaspoons of granola.



~::::~

1 comment:

Erica said...

mmm fresh produce. What a great treat. I really need to pick up some xantham gum, i have never used it!