Friday, November 7, 2008

Ode to an Eggplant

Oh Eggplant, how I do love you


So nutritious, with lots of vitamins

So tasty, with a complex and smoky flavor

So easy to prepare for a busy weeknight

~


If you have a few blemishes, I don't care

As long as your skin is firm and without puncture

. . .that is, until I prick you all over with my fork


It's ok, it's good for you

~


A very hot oven, 450

And about 50 minutes

A few rotations as you go


We want you to cook evenly through


And on the counter to cool a bit

Sometimes I like your skin, more often I don't

Once you are cool enough to touch, your skin is so easy to remove


Until you are completely naked


Sliced up and stored in the fridge


And ready for whatever I like


Oh Eggplant, how I do love you!

~::~

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for eggplants!! You should enter this in this week's BSI challenge!!:

http://graduatemeghann.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/blogger-secret-ingredient-revealed/

Erica said...

haha I was just going to say the same thing as VG! I bought an eggplant today. I have never had it before!

Laura said...

I've never seen eggplant cooked like that! I generally don't like eggplant much. I should try this method. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

you've been tagged - see my blog for details :)